Monday, April 11, 2011

The last time I was there


The last time I was there, it really saddened me
that they had shrugged their shoulders and accepted it –
the inertia of humanity had maddened me.

Some claimed perhaps they should have intercepted it
and tried to blow that comet off trajectory
but most just shrugged their shoulders and accepted it.

The ballot, as announced, was ex-directory.
Rigged, of course, but still there was no clamour
to blow that lethal comet off trajectory.

Did they roam the streets with axe and hammer
as the airlift blew its smoke upon the doomed?
Twigged, of course, but still there was no clamour

as the rich flew off as the Day of Judgement loomed
with me a tiny stowaway in the hold.
I watched the plumes of smoke blot out the doomed

but saw the meek acceptance of the old.
The last time I was there, yes, it had saddened me
but more, though just a stowaway in the hold,
the inertia of humanity had maddened me.

2 comments:

Garry Eaton said...

A with many of your delightful poems, I detect (dare I say it?) a serious intention. Thanks for a good laugh at my own expense.

Garry

Peter Goulding said...

Hi Garry,

Many thanks for that. Yes, you're right, there's often a serious intention behind the poems but I'd be the last to claim I had a message!

Thanks again

Peter